Old 04-12-07, 05:52 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brusheda
I just signed up for the Ride Without Limits in November. It is a 2 day event- 100 miles per day. I need advice on the training plan. I am planning on working off of the double century training plan from the Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling. Because it is a two day event, I know I need to practice back-to-back long rides. So if I take the long ride in the double plan and split it between two days, will that work well? If so, should I split it evenly, or unevenly?
In prepping for a 600k, where I had planned on sleeping at the 300k mark, I did a couple of rides that were, like 100 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday. CarbonFiberBoy asked about why folks go for less mileage on their Sunday training ride, and while I can't speak for everyone -- for me, the goal of the second training day was to get my muscles used to getting back on the bike after one long day, and be ready to pedal out another with some sense of freshness. In that sense it's important to do a ride of some significant length, but it doesn't have to be the same as the last day's ride. ... and besides, I had housework that I was neglecting on Saturday

also, if you've done any kind of multi-day bike touring recently, then your body is already used to that tempo, even if your tour days are only, like, 50 or 60 miles on each day

fwiw, in prepping for previous charity events like the MS150's (which, in New England are all two-day events with 100 and 75 mile options on both days) and the New York Boston AIDSride, I didn't do any real back-to-back training. Just a century on a Saturday and commute on Monday. So, it's possible to do without the two-long-ride weekend regimen; so long as you remember to eat and hydrate well on day 1 of your event. Also stretch thoroughly as soon as you're done with Day 1 and before you go to bed.