Old 03-16-04, 09:07 AM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain issues

Will somebody please explain the concept to me about running 1/8 and 3/32 chains and cogs in the same system. If it is 1/8, then run all 1/8 cogs and chainw heels. If it is 3/32 then run all that. I know that it is possible to mix the two in certain combinations but they produce a noisy unsatisfactory solution to a non existent problem. I have been running master links with either the old style of u shaped circlip on 1/8 chain and master links of the appropriate size for 3/32 for about 30 years of various track/fixed gear riding and have yet to have one fail. Not to say it can't, but it just has not been my experience. The one caveat that I will say is that you should restrict your 3/32 chains to 5-6-7-8 speed variety as the 9-10 is too lightly constructed to withstand the forces that apply in brakeless fixed gear use. This according to no other authority than John Dacy at www.BuisnessCycles who knows a fair amount about things fixed and track after having run a shop dedicated to same for lo these many years. The added benefit of running all the same sized components is that chain wear is reduced. If you like replacing components then, by all means, go ahead and mix and match. Why add an element of incompatibility to a system that is fairly simple when, if you just ran all compatible items, you would avoid all issues of wear and tear? If you can't afford to run the same components, then you will have to address the added cost of component wear in the future. Like the man say's "You can pay me now, or pay me later". You got to pay to play.

Fixedgearhead