Old 04-15-07, 04:54 PM
maunakea
too many bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From experience: categorize your toys, trip phases, and luggage format. Bipedally carrying a folder AND your baggage will get old very fast. I'm sure you're strong enough, but strength isn't the primary determinant of "enjoyable trip". I sometimes travel (as in leaving this Wed.) with a folder/separable and cycle gear, inline skates (uses protective gear of cycling), and motorcycle touring gear (separate set of gear, e.g., armored pants, jacket, gloves, helmet), in addition to business clothes and mobile office. The MTB shoes and daypack with bladder double for hiking. Motorcycle rental is easier in Europe than anywhere else in the world, and is possible in Japan and some other places in Asia. So... I suggest you real decision is about whether you will need a luggage trolley or whether you can get by with a "train" of suitcases. If I have too much stuff for normal baggage allowance on international flights, I use a full size, hard bicycle case and fill it full of everything but a bicycle. The bicycle is in its own suitcase (either an S&S case for the separable ISO 620 bike or a F'Lite for the Swift). A full size "bicycle case" counts as one piece of standard luggage on many international flights, even though it is way over 65". So, I am travelling with a bike, and a bike case, but the bike is not in the bike case. The bike case option means taking a luggage trolley. I use a heavy duty luggage trolley so that the bike case, checked bag, and carry-on bag can all ride on the trolley to simplify using elevators and escalators.

Last edited by maunakea; 04-16-07 at 11:57 PM.