Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I'm wondering if any of you who began cycling later in life (as opposed to continuing since you were much younger) have seen a noticeable change in your physical appearance. Not just weight loss leading to a smaller version of your previous shape, but the toning and re-shaping and muscle definition that results from consistent, regular physical exercise. I realize it takes years to get rid of the fat deposits that took years to pile on the hips, legs, belly and arms..... but is it really possible to get a leanish-looking body when you start getting serious in your 50s?

I used to diet when I was younger. Back then, exercise wasn't preached like it is now. Dieting leads to only a smaller version of the previous shape -- same bulges as before, just smaller. Physical activity + reasonable dietary changes lead to not only a smaller body, but a smoother appearance.

At 50+ I am still able to lose weight somewhat easily through moderate diet changes and moderate almost-daily exercise, but the fat distribution is different and it hangs on for dear life from the waist up. I'm wondering if I need to lower my expectations, or if the results will just take longer. I believe our appearance isn't as important as our overall health and fitness.... but for those moments when I do care, I'd just like to know.
I was very fit from my late teens until 48 (not counting 2 pregnancies wherein I gained 60 lbs. each but lost it w/in 2 years post-partum. No regrets, not a one). Hormones, burn-out, unconscious eating led to 30 lb. weight gain. I woke up one morning two months after my 50th and freaked out -- I was way too young to be feeling so crappy!

Got the eating under control, hit the gym, found cycling classes, rediscovered love of road riding. Six months it took me to lose that 30 lbs. In that time I became more compact -- very muscular but smaller than in my heavy lifting days. I credit the cycling -- my calves & ankles are smaller & more defined than ever. I have no "saddlebags" either -- something I had no matter how lean I was in younger years. Even my arms are smaller -- still muscular, but more compact.

So yeah, I like what I see in the mirror. I like even more the way I feel when I wake up in the morning. I'll be riding as long as I can.

Be as compassionate toward yourself in your journey as you would be to someone else in your position.