Thread: BB's
View Single Post
Old 03-17-04, 06:07 PM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB's

After playing with cup and cone for many hears I have gone over to Phil Wood Cartridge exclusively on all my bikes but one. The only reason for that one is that it is a French thread tandem bottom bracket and I just don't want to spend the money on something that I don't ride that often. The cup and cones on that bike are in pristine shape so should last forever. That said there are Shimano BB's, Un-72 for example, that are much less than the Phil and you could replace them a couple of times for the price of a Phil. That is the good thing; the bad thing is that you will probably have to over the life of the Phil. Pay them now or pay them later. It's interesting what people are saying about headsets. I have Chris King on most of the bikes and have never had any issues with them. I tend to not ride them in really bad weather and clean the bikes obsessively and they are not off road bikes. That may play a part in the equation.

fixedgearhead