Old 04-17-07, 11:17 AM
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love shooting SLR (prefer photochemical to digital), but on tour I go digital... Maybe if I was doing some real photography, but just for snapping stuff as I go by, digital makes way more sense.

Good luck fitting an SLR into your jersey pocket, or having it handy at the exact right moment when its buried in your panniers. If you're a shutterbug the film could get bulky and it would be a pain sending home packages of filmn every few days. I have one of the smallest and lightest manual SLRs ever made, and its still heavy and bulky compared to pretty much any digital out there. Add in replacement lenses, flashes, winders etc. and you're already outweighing your camping gear...

If you get an ultracompact digital with a viewfinder (to save batteries) and shove a 2gb card in (bring an extra if you're photographing non stop) you'll have all you need with a weight around 75 grams and really minimal bulk.

My luxury item is a customized 216 gram espresso maker. I have a portable grinder too, but its bulky, heavy and hard to use, and the results aren't that great. Better to find good beans and have half of it ground where you bought it, and save the other half for when you pass somewhere that you can get the rest ground for you (cafe, supermarket etc.)