View Single Post
Old 04-17-07, 02:16 PM
beefcakefx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclocross Search

I'm an active biker, though inconsistently so, but I've never specified in any particular style of biking. I own a Rockhopper that I've used for commuting, road travel, off road, etc. but I want the capability to do much more. I want to do some long distance touring, a more efficient (and less tire shredding) commuter, the ability to do some off-road exploring when I don't have my mountain bike, and the means to dabble with cyclocross racing and triathalons without embarassing myself. Essentially, I need a durable road bike and a cyclocross seems to fit the bill.

I understand the value of Shimano componentry but I'm having trouble evaluating other comparing other bike components (frame, wheels, crankset, hubs, etc). Based on interest in Shimano components, rack compatibility for touring, weight, general impression, and price range, I've narrowed the vast list of cyclo bikes to the list below (ordered by preference, so far). I could really use help in evaluating further. Please take a look and offer any tidbit of advice, direction, criticism, etc.

Bike.............................................. Retail....Comments
Specialized Tricross Expert Double....$2,200.....best components, full rack mounts
Jamis Supernova...........................$1,925.....b etter components, light (18.5lbs)
Bianchi Cross Concept....................$2,350.....lightest (Scandium frame)
Felt F1X (2006)............................$1,600.....be tter components, price, 06 better than 07
Specialized Tricross Comp Triple......$1,800.....better components, full rack mounts
Trek X0 2....................................$2,200... ..better components, probably overpriced
Redline Conquest Pro.....................$1,000.....good components, price
Fuji Cross Pro...............................$1,750.....bes t components, price
Rocky Mountain Solo CXR...............$1,500.....good components
Jamis Nova...................................$1,300... ..good components
Trek X0 1.....................................$1,320... ..good components
Cannondale Cyclocross Optimo.........$1,250.....disc brakes, heaviest
Redline Conquest.............................$800.....go od components, cheapest
Novara Rivet.................................$1,600... ..good components, best crankset?

Thanks, Mike