View Single Post
Old 04-18-07, 03:38 PM
fatandfast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANK YOU for all your input! I ordered some new wheels. Similar to my original plan yet also different.

I found a screaming deal on a new pair of Cane Creek Volos XL road wheels. These are supposed to be Cane Creek's road wheel for clydes. The have a deep v style rim (not as deep as Velocity's....2 mm shorter...but otherwise very similar), and straight pull spokes which apparently are tensioned much higher. The rear wheel is also asymetrical which I've been told helps it stay in true longer by having even spoke tension despite the dish of the wheel.

They are cheaper and lighter than hand built Deep Vs and I have a friend with a similar set on his track bike (Volos Track) and he says the workmanship is excellent. The only concern I had is with the low spoke count (24/28), but I emailed Cane Creek and they say because of the higher tension of the spokes the wheels should be able to handle my weight no problem.

I hope these wheels works out. I'll post a review after I've ridden them for a few months.

The only question now is tires. I figured I'd get a pair of cheap-o 700x28s and ride them around while I get an idea of what I want in a road tire (was riding cyclocross tires before)