View Single Post
Old 04-18-07, 07:43 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
There was a thread not too long ago on it. Search appears to be busted, but it's probably only a few pages back.

The pros that I see are fast tires and TT bars, which look interesting but are rarely used on anything except fixies / SS / tri bikes. Dahon's fold is pretty good, better than BF and Swift imo. I also think it aesthetically it looks sweet.

The cons are that design-wise, the bike can't make up its mind. Suspension on the front wheel? An internal hub? Minimal handlebar height adjustment? Steel frame? All seem like strange choices for a modern road bike.

Also, it's got the i-Beam, so saddle choices are limited, unless you change seatposts. Other parts (like the derailleur) ought to be standard but I'd check on it first.

I'd also assume / have been told that, like most Dahons it's inadvisable to pull back on the handlebars, as it has lots of flex.

My guess is that the Speed Pro will fold better than, but perform as well as, a basic Swift or BF. Once you go above that level, you're paying more for things like drop bars, more gears, custom fit, lighter and more robust components etc., but the basic functionality doesn't change all that much. With new folders, once you're over $800, I think you are in the Land of Diminishing Returns....

Thanks for that :

Actually I use anything from 10spd Ultegra or 9spd XT through to 3 or 8 speed internal gear hubs on various bikes I own...horses for courses I say.
A bit scary about not pulling back on Dahons' bars, heck, how do you climb a mountain without doing some of that?
Some riders of small wheelers feel a non suspended front wheel/fork gives too harsh a ride, (Sheldon), I'm not too sure about that, I find mine bearable and I've had fractured tailbone and vertibrae.

for the Land of Diminishing Returns....been there...still doing it.