Michael H

Bikes: Redline 925

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/tdm/pub...tivespeeds.pdf

the above document and several others make a valid point about the real cost of driving.

In other words figure all the other stuff like savings on gas and greenhouse gases produced etc and then start to figure in the actual cost of the automobile.

For example I commute on a bicyle that cost less than $500 brand new. I spend less than $150/year to maintain that bicycle.

The average cost of a new automobile is $27,958

Insurance= avg. $850.

then add yearly cost of gas/oil/tolls/parking/maintenance= $7-8,000

total= 36,808

Since the average yearly wage is $ 40,459

an auto costs an awful lot more of my time to drive than one would think.

even if an average American worker bought a new commuting bicycle once a year it would still cost them only 1/63 of their income to do so.

To do the same thing with an auto would cost 90% of their yearly income.

Translates into a lot more hours at work just to get to work a little faster.

Suddenly that extra few minutes to get somewhere by bicycle is ultimately a time saver.
While I appreciate the point that you're trying to make, it's a rather drastic picture to paint as most car owners don't buy a new car every year (at least I've never met anyone who has), and a great deal of people buy used. Divide the cost of the new car up over 5 years, and the numbers come down significantly. It's still a great deal more than using a bike, but nowhere near 90% of one's average income.