Old 04-19-07, 09:40 PM
jdraughn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies. As for getting a racing bike to begin with, I gave up after looking for a couple of weeks. I looked at used bikes locally and couldin't find anything in my price range. All of last years starter 2006 models within my size were sold out at all my local bike shops. Finally, after much deliberation I went for the bike I got. I also based it on the fact that with my old racing bike, I never dropped down into the areo position anyway, I couldin't breath when riding like that anyway. I am hoping once I drop some weight and get a bike fitted to me, I will be able to use the dropped down bars the way they were meant to be used.

The bike I had before this was actually a pretty decent road bike, it was a black Schwinn which I believe was made in the late 70s or early 80s, but it was HUGE. I had to lower the seat all the way so it was practically riding on top of the frame just so my feet could reach the pedals. I am basing the bumpiness of the roads off of that comparison.

Only thing is that the bike shop I bought it from didn't really fit the bike to me at all. They used some kind of fitting stick to get the frame size right, then raised the seat by using the fitting stick. That was it, they didn't adjust the seat front/or back or the handle bars at all. I know not to go to the particular bike shop I went to anymore, I just had no choice this time because they had the only bike in all of my county within my price range.

I do know one thing for sure. The first thing I buy will be a headlight, I work graveyards and am going to "hopefully" start riding my bike to and from work everyday no matter what. Even come winter, I will spring for a mountain bike and get some studded tires. I will also need to get some fenders soon, I dont' want a wet line up my back by the time I get to work on those rainy days.