Old 03-21-04, 08:05 PM
Rdbiker13

Bikes: GT ZR400 w/mavic wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
i think that you need to ride more intelligently, not necessarily longer.
you only need one of those long rides once every 2 weeks. other than that, i'd focus one day on speed, one day on intervals and one day on easy spin.

if you read articles by guys who have done RAAM, these other shorter rides are important, not just for your fitness but for your sanity.

essentially your ride is broken down into 4 x 35 mile rides (you can break it down into any managable sections)

speed is important, but only if it incorporated with endurance. so the speed, interval, on bike recovery (slow spin) are equally important.

then as you progress, combining all these disciplines on the last long rides just before your event should cap off a great training period.

come race day, there might be unforseen winds or weather that might prevent you from attaining your PR, but it won't be for lack of preperation.

and try out different nutrition ideas, both on and off the bike so you aren't limiting yourself in that regard.
Thanks for the reply! I have read in bicycling books that you have to mix it up to improve.I do think I need to do more of that come this season.I do it with my in door training but I fall prey to doing the same old thing on the road.I also do all my training alone. I feel that with out a partner that i might have done all I can on my own.(I just don't know)