View Single Post
Old 04-20-07, 07:02 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by oneredstar
I myself have lived and worked in China. They know what a bike rack is. The University that I worked at had enough bike rack parking for 15,000 bikes!
All I can say is that it must be a regional thing. I have not seen a bike rack in this country. I was told by one of the students that there is a pipe by one of the buildings (the art building) where, if people are going to be gone a long time, they will sometimed chain thier bike. There are no others. There are also none in this town of 200,000 I have spent several days looking for one (mostly as an excuse to go riding). None seen in Kumning or Chengdu (I didn't look hard in Chengdu) and none seen in Xian, Zhengzhou, or Kaifeng.

As far as chalanging the system, they asked us what we wanted. This is something we all agreed on but the administration seems to have no undersanding of what we want. When we showed them the bike chained to the tree they exclaimed, "oh, you want more trees."