Old 04-20-07, 07:09 AM
bike2math

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olentangy River MUP closed for the near future

Edit: Well perhaps ...MUP detoured... is a better title...

My wonderful MUP commute has been dramatically changed. A construction project near the path has blocked the path. They put up a chain link fence that forces a rather substantial detour on campus roads.

My understanding is that if a construction company needs to close a roadway to such an extent that detours are necessary then they have to compencate the local municipality for this. I wonder if such compensation has been offered in this case?

But I digress, I've gotten so used to the last part of my commute being a pleasant MUP ride (at 8:30 or so in the morning when it is empty except for us commuters) that I find myself being a very aggressive and bitter road rider on the detour I now take. The detour takes me along a road which leads to no less than three parking garages for campus, the road is a parking lot itself at about 8:30 in the morning. So I filter on the right until the road becomes so narrow that I get in line with the cars ... Normally I probably wouldn't do this, but these cars aren't going anywhere. They are just sitting there with their engines running waiting for ... I dont' really know what.... At some point at this time the opposite directions lane will be completely empty.. So I double check it and get it in it, after a 500 ft sprint I turn onto a small little used road that takes me to my destination.

So basically I'm part confessing, part ranting, part looking for someone to say, "Yeah, me to, if there was 500 ft of unused asphalt in what is essentially a parking lot, I'd use it to."

I want my MUP back

Last edited by bike2math; 04-20-07 at 07:16 AM.