Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rain gear vs. poncho

I am starting a tour in the Pacific Northwest on June 1st. I expect a lot of rain, but my current rain gear won't even keep me dry on the way to work. I was just about to pull the trigger on either this MEC Hydrocycle Jacket this Showers Pass Double Century Jacket, and then some rain pants to go with them.

But then I thought about how the jackets are expensive and probably sweaty, will only really be worn while its raining. I probably would barely use the rain pants at all. When its not raining they are useless and do not have a secondary use.

Then I saw a silnylon poncho and became intrigued. They come in all shapes, sizes, prices and materials. They are fully waterproof and have what I assume would be superior ventilation, despite the fabric. They can also be stretched out to use as tarps. This is attractive to me because I have a bright orange tent, so if I bought a digital camoflage poncho I could throw it on the side of the tent facing towards the road, or cover my bike with it to keep the rain off or hide it. I'd basically be an invisible cyclist on the road wearing it though!

I have no idea what it is like to ride in a poncho however. Will it turn me into a huge sail, given the fact that I will be right on the coast most of the time? Will it cover my thighs? I figure a poncho is probably long enough that I could leave the rain pants at home. Once I'm back from tour and commuting in the city theres no way I'd wear a poncho so a jacket may be a better long term investment (and ponchos being cheap enough for me to write off).

Any poncho wearers here want to chime in and convert me?