Old 04-20-07, 11:49 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertHurst
[For my definition of vehicular-cycling], I am simply using Forester's own definition, which defines 'vehicular cycling' in terms of a few basic principles.
Thank you for clarifying this. Now we have a much more objective "common ground" standard by which to measure. Fortunately, we also have Mr. Forester here to clarify any misunderstanding we may have with the ramifications of applying these principles in real situations, such as the one at issue here.

Originally Posted by Helmet Head
I'm northbound on Regents, 4 lanes + bike lanes.
Signal up ahead is red, there are about 7 or 8 cars stopped in the right lane, 2 in the left lane. There are cars behind me, but they have to slow for the light, so I'm in the right lane, not the bike lane. It is tempting to merge into the bike lane and pass on the right. Of course, I don't...

I look back over my left shoulder and merge into the left lane. From that improved vantage point I can see that the first car at the red light in the right lane is positioned to go straight, while the next 4 or 5 cars are all either flashing right or right biased as if they plan to turn right at the light. As I approach the back of the 2nd car in line in the left lane, the light turns green. I'm still rolling, and they're about to go, so I look back over my right shoulder, merge to the right side of the left lane, look back again, and merge to the left side of the left lane, in a lane-sharing position to the left of the right turners. As I pass the 2nd car in line in the right lane (the 1st one turning right), I look back over my right shoulder and merge right, behind the first car who is now accelerating straight through the intersection.
While I was in the left lane I was centered the entire time as I was rolling forward towards the 2 cars stopped at the light in front of me, until I decided to merge right. I did that merge in two separate moves, as described above and clarified here:
  1. First I merged from the center position to the right of the left lane.
  2. Then I merged from the right of the left lane to the left of the right lane.
In each merge, I looked back over my right shoulder before I moved.

Contrary to what Robert understood, and for what it's worth, I did not move to the right side of the left lane in order to share that lane with the car in front of me in the left lane. I did that to be visible, predictable and orderly, as opposed to making the merge right in one move from the center of the left lane to the left side of the right lane. At no time while I was in the left lane was I sharing... that lane is too narrow for sharing. The right lane is wide enough to share with right turners when the right turners are properly merged into the bike lane on their right, which this car (the 2nd one in line on the right side, the first turning right) was. Since it was in the bike lane, there was plenty of sharing space on its left, which I used to pass the right turner on his left.

Mr. Forester can clarify, because it's his book and principles I refer to when I say: My understanding is that the above is by the book.

Assuming Mr. Forester does confirm that what I described above is consistent with the vehicular-cycling principles and practices that he writes about, the fact that Mr. Hurst and Brian did not recognize this, and thought is was a non-VC example, is exactly what I mean by VC critics criticizing something other than VC when they criticize it.

This is but one example, but I think it underscores why many of the disagreements about VC are often really about many people not understanding what the VC principles mean and how they apply, in particular with respect to taking advantage of the rights accorded to drivers of relatively narrow vehicles (like motorcycles and bicycle) while remaining in accordance with the vehicular principles, including those responsibilities that apply to the drivers of slow moving vehicles, which of course often apply to drivers of bicycles (though notably not in this particular case because all traffic was stopped or moving slowly throughout the entire scenario).