View Single Post
Old 04-22-07, 10:31 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only used rear panniers back in the days when I was too poor to buy much. I sewed my own panniers out of packcloth. I tied my sleeping bag between the drops of my handlebars with nylon cord. I toured on an old Raleigh Gran Prix 10-speed with steel rims, cottered cranks, and a big stem bolt sticking up to gouge your knees when you went over the handlebars. (I know because I did it once.)

It worked. That doesn't mean it was an ideal setup. Now I have a dedicated touring bike and use front and rear panniers (plus a handlebar bag.) It's WAY better. I wouldn't go back. My bike handles lots better. I can carry more (although I don't have to), and I'm less likely to break rear spokes because a lot of my weight is up front.

You can tour with just rear panniers. But if you had the choice, why would you? Simplicity I guess. Cost savings. Weight savings (a front rack and front panniers do weigh something.) Not because it's "better".