donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings from Portland!

You're going to really enjoy biking around here. Since I know all the schools in the area, I can say whichever one you're going to is going to have hills to contend with. How steep they will be depends on which school you will be attending. I get by just fine with 8 gears, but then again, I'm not spending much time pedalling around the West Hills. I also think that if you're going to be focusing on school and you are new to bikes, you will want something reliable, so that pretty much rules out Craigslist. (Trust me guys, Craigslist is not for the new to bikes here in Portland.) There are 2 reputable bike shops in town that sell used bikes and I highly recommend either of them. The Community Cycling Center and Citybikes should be able to help you out, and they will not steer you wrong with your smaller-than-average height. They also understand being on a budget. Citybikes might hold an advantage for you since they also sell a couple of lines of reliable, mid-priced bike brands like Jamis and KHS. It's possible that you may not be able to find a reliable, used bike for your height at just the time you need one. Now, if your parents are willing to fork over the cash for a new bike and you don't even want to hunt for something used, I personally love Seven Corners Cycles. The 2 guys there treat the rider of the old Schwinn 3 speed with the same respect and good service as the new and expensive Surly, and they make me want to send people to them for their purchases. They sell Raleighs - another solid, midpriced like of bikes.

One caveat: Bike theft is rampant here. Do not even consider a cable lock, I don't care how inexpensive your bike turns out to be and I don't care what anyone who works at a bike shop tells you. We've got thieves roaming around town with bolt cutters in their backpacks - seriously. Also, never, ever leave your bike unlocked - not even in a sheltered backyard, garage, or house/apartment/dorm. My brother has lost 2 bikes out of his backyard, and recently a thief was bold enough to take a fixed gear bike out of someone's house while they were upstairs! I don't want to panic you - just be willing to fork over the money for a solid U-lock, always lock it, and you'll be fine.

You may or may not be aware that we have a very rich bikey culture here in Portland, and if you want to begin to check it out ahead of time, visit Bike Portland. It is the "information central" of our community. The links section knows no equal. Now, if your parents are a little concerned about what it's like biking here, visit the city government's bicycle page. You will be able to check out the detailed bicycle maps of the city. Heck, your parents can even email them - I know they'll answer and reassure them of any concern they might have for you.

If you have any further questions at all, please do not hesitate to PM me. If you want a "bike commute buddy" to help you plan your commute or even shop for a bike, just ask. I had a friend do that for me before my first bike commute, and I've done that for others since. (I love a bike ride and I love shopping! ).

Donna

P.S. - If you're not from Oregon, remember we have no sales tax here.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."