View Single Post
Old 04-23-07, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
I already have some old Ortlieb Sport Packer Classic front panniers. My miyata 610 does have axel dropout eyelets, but doesn't have midfork braze-ons, so I was wondering what rack I should get. I am not going to load these too heavy, and I am looking to save some money here... What rack would be somewhat cheap and would work okay with the QL-1 mounting system and just like, p-clamps or maybe the tubus lowrider adapters (LM-1). Would I be okay even with like a nashbar cheapo rack? Thanks for helping me decide, this is really the last purchase I need to make before my upcoming tour.

EDIT - my bike has 27 inch wheels, but I guess if I am using the adapters or p-clamps that shouldn't matter...
P-clamps probably wouldn't be the best. I'd stay away from the old Blackburn Lowriders too. They have a plate across the top that interferes with Ortlieb attachment. Your best bet would probably be these from Delta. They're pretty cheap and attach with a U-bolt. I used them -the U-bolt - for many years without problems on my 610.

Or you could also use the Old Man Mountain AC Lowrider (bottom of the page). About the same cost as the Delta. I'd still use the U-bolt method.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!