ruirui
need to go out and ride..

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by booyah
At that price point, avoid disc brakes. They're unlikely to give you much stopping advantage over V-brakes, and will add unwanted rotational weight.

Giant frames are good. Bikes in this price range won't be designed for too much abuse off road - I think the biggest weak spots will be the rims and fork. The Specialized Rockhopper will be worth a look - it comes well equiped for the money (my LBS sells it for $390, but tax would push it over your spending limit).

Just as an aside, have you budgeted for the accessories you'll need? Or do you already have them? Pump, spare tubes, helmet, basic tools, patch kit. If you're primarily using the bike for commuting, you may want to ask the bike shop about swapping the standard tires for some semi-slicks to make riding on the smooth stuff an easier proposition.
booyah... i don't mind spending a bit more than $400 for a bike... since i know tax in cali is steep! but, as for the assessories, i already have the lights for front and rear, helmet, basic tools, water bottle, etc. as for using it for commuting, it will mainly be used for that, however, i was thinking about buying two sets of tires.. one for commute (slicks) and the other for trail. thus far, i'm leaning toward the rockhopper, since I already have one (just to big for me that's all.. need a size 17 or 18 frame, but bought it used with 20.5" ) as for the giant.. i like the yukon frame.. but read too many bad things about the fork, derailers, gears, etc. so pretty much to me it seems like 380 for the frame. i just can't wait for the weekend to come.. then i can go check out the bikes.. grrr now stuck in front of my 17" LCD at work in my cube... only to have this bike forum to keep me company..