Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Attempting to transfer old Titan thread to this one:

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland
11-08-04, 08:07 AM #1
wildjim

Is anyone familiar with Titan Bicycles of Switzerland.

There is 20 year old frame built in Italy for Titan on Ebay. It is described as having Columbus SLX Tubing and varnished by Dossena Carlo.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...tid=18728&stc=1

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...tid=18729&stc=1

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...tid=18730&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-08-04, 05:18 PM #2
TheOtherGuy

Grab it if it fits. That's the same paint mine has... Looks cool. Well worth what they sell for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11-08-04, 06:10 PM #3
wildjim

Originally Posted by TheOtherGuyGrab it if it fits. That's the same paint mine has... Looks cool. Well worth what they sell for.
I purchased it(53) from Ebay for $190 shipped.

What do you know about the frame?

11-08-04, 07:39 PM #4
TheOtherGuy

I know that the rear drop-outs are Campagnolo 1010b, frame tubes some flavor of Columbus (probably SLX; 27.2 seatpost, and ribbing in main tubes at BB), and that it comes with a generic chromed Tange threadless fork. Rear spacing looks like 126mm. Build quality looks good, but not really "artful". A nice, Italian race frame.
The seller packs pretty well. Should be a great rider (haven't built mine yet), with unusual looking smoked paint. I think you'll like it; you got one of the better ones. Some of those Titan frames used lesser Aelle tube sets, and had the uglier brake bridge. Still, you can't beat 'em for that price!

11-08-04, 08:00 PM #5
wildjim

Originally Posted by TheOtherGuyI know that the rear drop-outs are Campagnolo 1010b, frame tubes some flavor of Columbus (probably SLX; 27.2 seatpost, and ribbing in main tubes at BB), and that it comes with a generic chromed Tange threadless fork. Rear spacing looks like 126mm. Build quality looks good, but not really "artful". A nice, Italian race frame.
The seller packs pretty well. Should be a great rider (haven't built mine yet), with unusual looking smoked paint. I think you'll like it; you got one of the better ones. Some of those Titan frames used lesser Aelle tube sets, and had the uglier brake bridge. Still, you can't beat 'em for that price!

The seller just emailed me and said she will try to ship it today.

The low price seems almost to good to be true? Made in Italy Vintage NOS Frame, Custom Artist Paint Job, Columbus SLX Tubes, DeRosa Lugs and Campagnolo 1010b dropouts.

Maybe I am lucky this day?

What are the plans for your frame?

I am going to use all Campagnolo parts.

11-08-04, 10:22 PM #6
TheOtherGuy

When I get to it, I'll build it with whatever I have laying around (probably late Super Record) & see how it feels. I really didn't need it, but I figured at that low price, I'd grab one while they're available.... I've had it for about 6 months now, hanging in the garage (with a dozen other frames waiting to be built...).

11-09-04, 01:32 AM #7
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

wildjim,

I have a Titan frame from the same seller which has been built into a great ride. It also has SLX tubing(takes a 27.0 seatpost) but doesn't have the schnazzy paint job yours has. If you'd like to see pics I have them posted at the following link: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...highlight=titan

Components are a mix of Chorus and Record. The ride is very solid and gets looks whenever I take it out. You're gonna love yours too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-09-04, 01:53 AM #8
wildjim

Originally Posted by LittleGinsengwildjim,

I have a Titan frame from the same seller which has been built into a great ride. It also has SLX tubing(takes a 27.0 seatpost) but doesn't have the schnazzy paint job yours has. If you'd like to see pics I have them posted at the following link: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...highlight=titan

Components are a mix of Chorus and Record. The ride is very solid and gets looks whenever I take it out. You're gonna love yours too!

That's a great looking bicycle. Did you run into any snags when building it?

I hope mine will build that nice.

I am looking at a Ritchey Headset and 3TTT Bar, Stem and Seatpost(black). I prefer Silver Components but everything available is Black. The rest will be Campagnolo?

The Titan I purchased is not labeled? It specifies a 27.2 seatpost, 1" Headset and Italian 70mm BB. The lug work looks the same as your's.

11-09-04, 02:43 AM #9
LittleGinseng
nightriding zen cyclist

The only snag was not finding an NOS Campy 27.0 seatpost I went with the Synchros for that reason. I'm 6'4" and the frame is just a bit small for me at 60cm. The Synchros post works perfectly, is 250mm and is still lighter (7075-T6 aluminum) than any Campy post from the 80's.

All in all, the build went without any mishap. I've since changed to a lighter wheelset, and NOS Chorus aero-toeclip pedals are on the bike.

Are you going to be installing new or vintage parts on your frame?

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-25-07 at 06:23 AM.