Old 04-24-07, 09:19 PM
RLHawk

Bikes: Milwaukee Orange One, Specialized Tarmac, Trek X02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
I just bought one last week, I have taken it out twice on the road with the knobbies. It is quite the bike, works very well, and rides great. I just put on some slicks for a little till I finish my roadie, Ill update tomorrow after its first pure road ride. Only problem is how low the gearing is, but considering I am not tip top right now, its ok. Did you get an 06 or 07?
First production of the 06. Gearing is 39/48t x 12/25t. All I need is a 52t ring to get the road gearing I am accustom to.

In comparison to my steel road bike, I find the Concept very smooth over rough city roads (where most of my rides start), responsive, and holds well in the corners (contrary to what I have been told to expect, although I am no crit racer.) My road bike does smooth out the road chatter a bit more, but the Concept handles better over larger bumps.

The only issue is, the fit is still way off. My upper body feels very cramped, my hands are uncomfortable in the hoods, and I cannot get in an efficient position over the pedals. I am hoping all this can be alleviated with new handlebars and seatpost (need zero offset post, already all the way forward on the rails, but still not far enough.)

Some of the efficiency feel may have to do with the pedal/shoe combination. (And it just dwaned on me that I have not worked on getting the cleats in proper position. ) I am using crank brothers candy-c pedals with mountain shoes. My road bike is equipped with speedplay and paired with well broken in road shoes.

I am hoping to find a some suitable takeoff bars at a local bike shop this week and possibly a seat post (or I can barrow the one form my road bike, but I am worried about screwing up the fit on a bike I am already dialed in on), and getting everything set for my usual weekend group ride. That will be a great test for me.

Let us know how your ride goes.