View Single Post
Old 04-25-07, 03:45 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidurts
The terrain (flat city streets, less than 10 miles) doesn't really matter. I know I will sweat. I'm an excessive sweater.

But in the commuting forum, some people say they get by without showering.
I don't shower. Some days I do training and ride the 28km very hard, and I arrive at work literally drenched.

At work, I first stretch while cooling down. A sports towel serves to wipe down the pouring sweat. By the time I'm done stretching, I am also cool and no longer sweating.

I then head for the bathroom and run hot water mixed with liquid soap in a basin. I rinse the towel and proceed to wipe myself down starting with my head, and doing everything except my privates. I don't have to wear knicks, I am lucky that I don't get chafing. The towel gets rinsed and wrung often in the process. Once done, I use some deodorant (very important) put on my day clothes and I'm ready to go. My cycling duds are hung out to dry for the ride home.

I discovered, about 6 months after I started doing this, that we DO have a shower at work! But by that time I had so thoroughly gotten used to my routine that I now prefer it for several reasons over a shower.