Old 04-25-07, 09:06 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by bmilkwick
Thank you for your remarks. More info follows:

The wheel is slightly out of true, but I wouldn't say it is badly out of true. When I invert the bike, and take a bird's eye view, the wheel is visibly left of center. For what it's worth, the tires came "standard" with the bike (you'd think they wouldn't fit the bike with too-fat tires). I've literally only been on about ten rides on this bike, and the problem just seemed to come out of nowhere--i.e., the tire wasn't rubbing at all, then it started rubbing a little, then the rubbing got worse. Could the bearings go out of adjustment so soon?

Also, what is a flexy frame?

If I must, I will take the bike to a shop, but I'd like to know what's wrong with it before I go.

Thank you.
It sounds like the most likely thing is that the wheel isn't built properly (i.e., it isn't properly dished). A rear wheel must be dished so that, despite the cassette or freewheel on one side, the rim is centered between the stays...........One other possibility is a very simple one, and that would be that the rear axle isn't firmly in the dropout on one side. Try loosening the quick release, then firmly seat the axle in the dropouts, then re-secure the quick release. Usually when that's the problem the brakes are more or less inoperable, though, that's why I didn't mention it as a possibility earlier.........If the wheel is visibly off center in the frame, as you say it wouldn't seem to be a problem with the tire size. But the reason I mentioned this as a possibility was that I have seen a brand new bike (a GT mtb from around 1999) that when the stock tires were inflated, the rear wheel would not turn because the outer knobs on the rear tire were wedged against the chainstays........Whatever the cause, get it fixed because you're likely to have a blowout or even damage the frame if it goes on long enough-

P.S. Flexy frame: all frames flex, some more than others. If you had a tire that had very little clearance to begin with (which it sounds like you do), a little flex in the bottom bracket/chainstay area and/or rear wheel (usually most evident when really torquing on the pedals, like when climbing) could cause the tire to rub the chainstay(s)-

Last edited by well biked; 04-25-07 at 09:22 PM.