Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinman
are you doing any "periodization" (really a lousy word, but a great concept)? My program has a 3 week hard, 1 week easier, then escalating each period. It's really working, and the injuries and soreness stay at minor level while the body is adjusting to increasing levels of stress.
Yes, I do that. It's hard to keep all that working just right and still have a life, however. But I do it, except that the fast Sunday ride is a sacred ritual that I've performed for 10 years. So I just periodize my weekday riding and weights.

These few rando rides are separate from my regular program. I've been trying to taper a bit for them and then recover afterwards. Randonneuring has added an additional element that's new to me. Jumping into these huge rides in March and April is not what my program is designed for. I usually peak in late June or July. It was a late decision to do them. I might redesign my program for next year, though I'm not sure what I'd do differently. This knee thing is mostly bad luck, I hope. It's bothered me a little bit ever since the operation, but any pain always went right away before. I had no trouble with it at all on the 200k.