robmcl
Prairie Path Commuter

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midnightsimon
Singlespeed touring is a bit of a crazy idea, but not impossible. I know two people who have done it - one who I rode with - and he had to walk up sections of hill, and one who tours regularly on a fixed gear with a flip flop hub, one gear for climbing, one for descents and flats. It can be done. I wouldn't reccomend it though.

In terms of what bike to get - forgegt all of this nonsense about what new bike to buy - the LHT/520/Volpe. I'm sure they're all great bikes, but they're all also in the 12-1400 dollar range, after tax. Start scanning craigslist and your local used bike shops looking for an 80s steel touring frame. You'll know you've found your bike when you find an old lugged steel road frame that has cantilever brakes and extra braze ons for fenders on the front and back. Buy it, and replace the drive train, brake pads, cables, and any other parts that look worn. Voila - touring for half the price!
My experince has been trying to find a touring bike that fits on Craigslist is easier said then done. I did not have any luck with this earlier this spring and gave up and bought a REI bike during the 20% of sale. Rigid MTBs are much more plentyful though.