View Single Post
Old 03-26-04, 07:11 AM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
i was looking over here: http://www.surlybikes.com/spew3.html and reading point #7 made me really nervous about my drivetrain. i dont like to replace stuff until it causes me to crash and die, but i have been having problems with my chainring getting all eliptical and egg-shaped, making chain-tension a highly variable thing, depending on where my pedals are at. so, i was wondering, how often do y'all replace your chainrings/rear cogs/chains? i replace my chain pretty frequently, and i've changed my rear cog once (cuz i had to) in the year+ that i've been riding my fix. am i do for new stuff?

tia,
-rob
One thing I noticed the other day on one of my chain rings is that the inside of the tooth cut out profile had some burrs on it. I took a whetstone and polished off the burrs and that stopped the noises that were happening on that bike. I don't know what caused the burrs. They may have been there from manufacturing. The chain is not stretched and the chain line is fine. Anyway that might be something to look at.

Fixedgearhead