Old 04-29-07, 08:27 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
If you can't reach the pedals at the "perfect" seat height then the cranks is too long, because if you lower the seat to reach the pedal then on the upstroke the pedal is too high causing your knee to be too high thus increasing the chance for knee pain..
Originally Posted by HillRider
That was my going to be my reply exactly. Thanks for saving me the duplicate typing.
**********************************************************************????

I understand there may be merits for a saddle height method which takes the measurements from the BB, and that it could "expose" the folly of people trying to use ridiculously long cranks, but surely reach has to be catered for??

What if a someone is riding 165s on the track and 172.5s on the road with the same BB reach? It means, with the extra, uncatered for, 7.5mm reach at the bottom of the stroke, one if his bikes is gunna be setup wrong

Or, what if someone rides 170s for mass-start races, and 175 for time-trials and hill stages, all with the same height from the BB, and, therefore, a very different reach for each setup? I say 2 of the bikse will be wrong wrong wrong

What if new shoes or pedals are bought with a different stack height which affects reach? It doesn't make sense

This is where the ".883 of inseam" method falls short

Last edited by 531Aussie; 04-29-07 at 12:25 PM.