Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
FENDERS
I have a pair of SKS full fenders that I am about to put on my "townie" but I don't have the little brace-bar between the chainstays on my frame. There is a little tab on the fender where it could be screwed/attached to that brace bar. Do people just let it flop around? Any creative alternatives?

Also, while the front fender attaches to the fork with a little tab, the rear fender doesn't have a tab on the back of it, but I do have a hole in my rear brake bridge where I could attach the fender via a tab. Has anyone put there own tab on the back/top of the rear fender? I probably could drill a hole and mount something to allow me to attach fender to frame at the brake bridge, which might help solve the chainstay brace bar issue.
The chainstay bridge on most touring frames is drilled for mounting a fender. I recently installed a pair of Gilles Berthoud 40mm 700c stainless steel fenders on my '72 Schwinn P15-9 Paramount, but because the bike was originally equipped with 27" wheels and now has 700c wheels, the gap between the chainstay bridge and the fender required a larger than ordinary leather washer, which I built up of laminated layers of leather.

If you don't want to drill your chainstay bridge, you can use an Adel clamp.

For the seat stay brake bridge, I fabricated an "L" bracket from a scrap of sheet stainless steel.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.