View Single Post
Old 03-28-04, 05:23 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
eh, i looked around on the site a little more and saw that they DO offer more dropout options than just the paul ones, and they have better headtube badges...but then i was a little disappointed later on while browsing the "anarchism" page, and the "about us" page. it just smacks of the same old crap, marketing to kids who think they believe in anarchy...probably the same kids who shop for "circle A" patches at hot topic. an anarchist isn't going to spend $500 on a bike frame...an anarchist isn't going to HAVE that kind of money... HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE. taking advantage of people's beliefs to make money is pretty damn low. people want to make and sell bike frames, make and sell bike frames. just don't go preaching about anarchy and destroying the "profit motive" on your website that's marketing your bicycles which you're selling FOR PROFIT, using a symbol commonly associated with "anarchy."

I could go on about the finest Columbus and Dedacciai tubing, the gentlest MAPP torches, the finest TIG welds. The tightest hand-filed miters, the finest PPG paints, the most painstaking craftmanship. And that would all be true.

But the real reason ours are the best is because of love. We love bikes, and we love to build bikes, more than anyone else. For us, bikes aren't toys or simple transportation or art.

We hate the market and all it stands for, the commodification of life and desire and values. We hate all authority and all oppression. But what Circle A Cycles really hates is what the market has done to bikes - turning them into toothless playthings of yuppies. It's a radical technology, folks, but there's a whole lot of marketing going on. There's lots of gear and lots of money to be spent, but the only thing you need is to ride.
marketing, marketing, marketing, marketing...columbus tubing costs $$$, welding supplies and craftsmanship cost $$$...their "about us" page reads like just about every other custom frame builder's "about us" page, except the other guys don't claim to want to smash the system that's making them all their money. i love how they say that stuff about the yuppies, yet, they make a high-end road racing frame, AND sell a racing jersey AND they're sponsored by schwalbe tires...they're turning themselves into exactly what they claim to hate so much.

Last edited by OneTinSloth; 03-28-04 at 05:37 PM. Reason: to increase the rantage...