View Single Post
Old 03-28-04, 05:58 PM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedgearhead
A recent post asked the question ;"Fixed Gear Sightings".
I ride in an area where there are no other fixed gear bikes being ridden that I am aware of. I guess my question is; Do you think of fixed gear riding as a "Group" activity or more of a "Solo" activity? I have noted the recent attempt to get up a group ride in Chicago that only produced 2 riders. Maybe the weather was a contributing factor in the low turnout. I know that when I rode multi gear bikes there were always a large number of group rides that I could have gone on if I desired. I know that NYC has the old skool track group in Central park and I wish that I was lucky enough to live in an area to take advantage of that type of gathering. For me, it is a solitary experience and I am guessing that most other people have the same situation. We have not achieved the mega numbers that exist in the largest cities that support the messenger scene, alley cat racing and whatnot. I would be interested in hearing others opinions.

Fixedgearhead
I guess that settles it. We are all a bunch of anti-social freaks. Thank heavens that is out of the way and we can get on with the fun of riding fixed. I looked at the website of River City Cycles in Portland Ore. and they advertised a fixed ride one night a week or so. That is what got me to thinking about the situation in general. I do think that it is an urban thing in the main. Although, all you city slickers don't know the fun you are missing bombing down the country roads spraying the farm dogs with halt dog spray and flipping off the cowboys. Who say's the country ain't exciting?

Fixedgearhead