View Single Post
Old 04-30-07, 10:22 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My fitting was done by some excellent fitters on the east coast and cost $70. So, for the cost difference why not just fly out east and have it done here? They would also apply the fitting cost to the cost of a new bike if ordered from them. They gave me a document with all the measurements and I actually ordered a bike from a different LBS but used their recommendations on frame size, stem length, bar width, etc.

I have continued to use those measurements for all my bikes so it was great money spent for me. I have tweaked their numbers to adjust a little for comfort but we're talking millimeters. It really helped me to get me in the "range" of where I needed to be and then I listened to my aches and pains and made adjustments until I was as comfortable as I could get. I've also been able to use different frame sizes by making adjustments to stem lengths to keep the reach from the saddle the same as my range.

The one area I have diverged the most from my recommended numbers is bar width. While not quite as aerodynamic, I like the wider bars so I ride the 46's or wider bars. I think I was sized for 44's or maybe even 42's. Maybe that's an area I can reconsider for my lightweight bike........just think of the grams I can shave there!!!!

Something to think about before doing a fitting-tell the person who is doing the fitting how you want the bike setup or your riding style before the fitting. In other words, how upright do you want to be-or how high you want the bars to be (neutral with the saddle or lower). It will help them get you better dialed in knowing your riding preferences. Otherwise they might try and size you for a race fit where your bars are 4" below the saddle and designed for riding in the drops all day!!!

I played golf for 30 years before I got my first lesson. After the first 30 minute lesson I only wish I had done it 30 years sooner. The same can be said for my bike fitting..........If you're serious about riding I think it is money well spent unless you have the skills to do all that stuff yourself.