View Single Post
Old 04-30-07, 12:51 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Riding and 'cheating'

So I've started riding this roadie - put 85 miles on it this weekend. Problem is that it's much harder to get my heartrate up on it unless I'm really pushing it. On my mtb my rides would be almost 50% of a 2-3 hour ride above 85% of maximum. I'd have to slow down to stay more within that 'optimal' fat burning optimal area.

Which is better to ride and train on? I know the bike you want to ride the most is the best one, but I almost don't feel like I'm working all that hard on the roadie (except for my wrists that let me know, and boy do they let me know!). Should we be riding our slowest and heaviest bikes for everything except that long group ride or race?

If I do 15 miles in one hour on my roadie and 15 miles in one hour on my mtb I'll be working much harder on my mtb - would I be burning more calories or building more strength?

May seem like a silly question, but if I'm keeping track of how many calories I'm burning by riding I'm really curious how much the roadie will 'skew' those numbers.

It's the year of the enema!