Old 05-01-07, 09:35 AM
charles vail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
race,racing,racers

Originally Posted by chipcom
I guess I must be a racer with 25s on my road bike and 28s on my commuter, even 28s on the touring bike at the moment (gonna be my backup bike for RAIN if the weather looks iffy)...but wait, I pump my own tires, with a Road Morph! Now I am confused...am I a racer, the Mother of all Freds, or just a guy who chooses equipment based on his own needs and experience?
Yes, you are a racer ! I suppose I am on my soapbox again......theres certainly nothing wrong with 28mm tires I rode them for about a year but I had one blow out and went to 32mm tires, with about 90 psi. I have ridden them with 80 psi and no pinch flats. I am 260 so I got tired of flatting narrower tires and can't stand fixing flats on the side of the road, in the cold, when its raining.
I have a old short wheelbase race bike with 25 mm tires but I only ride it on smooth asphalt, since the chipseal rattles my fillings and vibrates my fat to new levels of oscillation!

I've found the speed difference to be very slight, going from a 25 to a 32 and I actually want to try some 37mm tires. On rough roads, I think I am actually faster with the wider tires and certainly more comfortable. As the miles add up, I can ride for longer if I don't get so much road buzz. I suppose if I lived in a less rainy climate and had more asphalt roads with clean shoulders I might ride a narrower tire more often but probably I would lace up the tubular rims, for the old race bike, if I could get it to fit my old body better.