Old 05-02-07, 09:43 AM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried something out of curiosity last night

As you know -ho hum- I picked up a LeMond Reno -my first road bike in 20 years- on Saturday

I did 26 miles on Saturday
I did 11.5 miles after work on Monday
And, breaking one of my cardinal rules, I just HAD to take it out for another short jaunt last night.
Did 7.5 miles and, though I planned to just cruise nice and easy, I ended up -as usual- spending 1/3rd of my ride going uphill. Especially now, as I'm learning how to pace myself on this little Ferrari in general and particular on climbs (I'll beat this yet). I'm sure infatuation plays more than a little part in all this. Gosh, this is a NICE bike. Really nice. After a year of nothing but my Kaitai, I've now spent my last three times out on the Reno.

So... as soon as I got home last night and cooled down a bit, I parked the Reno and immediately jumped onto the Kaitai and...well, it felt pretty strange. The saddle, which had felt so perfectly set up, now felt like it was going to pitch me off of the bike. My stroke felt entirely different and I found I had to raise the saddle by a good inch and a half (maybe not the thing to do on a hybrid?). Of course the Fisher was nowhere near as responsive or elegant in it's movements -man I just feel like I'm dancing with the LeMond- but it felt incredibly secure on turns and I still think disk brakes are Da Kine. Other interesting observations. When I started back on this road a year ago, I could maintain a cadence of 60-65 rpm. Over time, I got that to where I can spin along pretty well at 80,85 - 90,95. On the LeMond, holding it DOWN to 90-95 is a bit tricky.

Another thing that struck me was that the Kaitai is a really NICE bike, too. It's just different. Going back and forth is going to be kind of weird.

Anyway, I guess that's it.