View Single Post
Old 05-02-07, 02:36 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I was once in the shared thru/RT lane adjacent to a LTOL. I was left biased about 3-4' to the right of the stripe separating thru from LT lane, with bike positioned directly over center of inductive sensor (they are left biased in shared thru/RT lanes). A decked out older commuter on bike pulled into left turn lane next to me and asked me in annoyed tone way which direction I was going and I told him straight and he gave me some lecture about needing to be more clear about which way I was going. I told him I couldn't be more clear, he responded saying that cyclist going straight should be to the right (actually he said/pointed 'over there' where there is a button to push to activative signal for those that can't figure out inductive sensors I guess) and it looked like I was going to turn left apparently turning into him or some such. At this point I was thinking and probably gave him a WTF look, but the light turned green so we went on our ways.

Sure he was being communicative and making sure, being 'extra safe', but the tone made me want to turn in front of him after all that.

Al
This is why random acts of education don't work. If one wants to reach some commuters, start a community college class and teach them to ride in an environment where people are expecting to be taught. If you teach at random on the roadside, you just make people clam up and harden to your message, regardless if you are right or not.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter