Old 05-02-07, 07:55 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crickette
I was getting ready to write someone privately and ask this (embarrassing) newbie question .. But I guess I shouldn't feel embarrassed. Afterall, my general knowledge of bikes pretty much stopped with being totally baffled by gears. I went to a bike shop and asked the owner (well, he was the only one there) how someone could learn how to shift gears - if there were books I could read.. Or could he explain it to me --- and he just stared at me.
Yes, there are books. Go to a library (or bookstore) and get Glenn's New Complete Bicycle Manual. Well, it doesn't explain how to shift, but it's a good basic beginners guide to how to buy, ride, and maintain a bicycle. Another really good book is The Art of Cycling by Robert Hurst. Not about buying or maintaining a bicycle, but about how to ride on roads we share with much bigger vehicles.

I think maybe he said something about how you just do it and learn how to do it. Made me feel SO stupid. I mean, afterall --- these thing had TWELVE GEARS and no instructions. Then I tried one, could scarcely work the brakes, had no idea about how to use front and rear ones (or which WAS front or rear - no labels!). I would out of my depth.
Not a very helpful shop. The guy should have helped you with all of your questions WITHOUT making you feel stupid. I hate shops like that. I wouldn't spend a nickel in one of those shops. Trust me, there are good shops out there.

At first I was scared about doing this myself, but then I realized that since I need to know how to remove the rear wheel when I have a flat (and patch the puncture), I really do need to know more than how to adjust the saddle, the handlebars, grease the chain and and fill the tires!!

And obviously, I need to get to find out what SIZE frame I should get. You read the descriptions and one woman's bike will be called a 26 inch. And the very next bike will be described as a 14 inch. And I am sure they are not describing a bike for midgets. I need to find a bike shop or someone close who can help teach me from the ground up (and has the interest in doing so).

I live in a very small town nowadays, 30 miles from anywhere, and I want a bike to get around town - gas prices being what they are and my needing the exercise so desperately. To do light grocery shopping, heading to the library, etc. I was checking out safety flags and lights (already have a gel over-pad) and such at Walmart today. I WANT a bike.... but I want a bike I regard as fondly and affectionally as I used to regard my horse.

So tell me, FlatTop, how can I do a conversion like this, where can I learn? And how can I tell by LOOKING at a (close-up) photo whether a bike is a fixed or single gear? I can see I have so much to learn.

Crickette
Post all of the questions I've quoted in this response on the General Cycling forum, plus any others you have, and you'll get lots of help.