View Single Post
Old 05-02-07, 07:55 PM
EXW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, took it to the local bike shop and after some initial head scratching, they fixed it. It appears, that the spindle length, front derailluer, and seat tube size have a very low tolerance when put together. I haven't had to adjust the front derailluer on this bike before, so I never realized just how little margin there was in the setup.

In fact, when it was in the work stand and correctly adjusted, it still didn't shift into the small chain ring. However, the mechanic said that once I got on the bike and loaded the rear shock, it would shift fine. So, we took it off the stand and I rode it around the parking lot and sure enough, it shifted perfectly. I would never have guessed this when I had it in the stand at home.

I recently got my shock Push'd and last weekend, when I noticed the problem was the first ride with the tuned shock. I'm wondering if there was enough difference in the shock pre-load to affect this. Just guessing, since this is beyond my level of expertise on the drive chain.

Thanks to everyone for offering suggestions, I really appreciate it.