View Single Post
Old 04-01-04, 07:06 AM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out a long time ago when I was young and foolish at 80 gear inches+ because that is what a number of other people rode that were older and more experienced rode. Over the years I have gradually reduced the gear inches to 71 gear inches. I find that when I started to ride with no brakes it was just just easier on my knees and my ability to stop, when necessary, was enhanced when I lowered the gear inch ratio. I remember the first time I rode at a velodrome in a race. I saw that everybody was running a higher gear than I was so I changed to a higher gear and got totally waxed by everybody on the track. If I had left it at what I was used to I might have done better. I guess the old saying applies, "you should ride your own race, and not some other guys race". You will have to experiment with different cog/chain wheel choices to arrive at what one works for you. If you make small incremental changes you will arrive at a perfect solution to your terrain demands and riding style.

fixedgearhead