View Single Post
Old 05-03-07, 11:01 AM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlrogue
As you are discovering, road bikes are highly addictive. I ride pretty much every day because it just feels so damn good(and yes, us CA guys are spoiled, particularly those of us fortunate enough to live in the Bay Area). I have to warn you though--those 8.5 mile jaunts will start doubling in length at some point. My standard ride was 7.5 mi. for a long time, then one day I followed a whim that ended up doubling that--and never went back. (Well, occasionally, when time is tight--but 7.5 now feels like better than nothing but not nearly enough.) Lately 15 is turning into 20 or 25 more often than not. I should probably think about joining Road Bikes Anonymous.
Darned straight about them being "addictive" (oh, hate I hate that now trite and overused term)
I had no intention at all of going out last night but as quitting time approached and I could see how nice the weather had turned out (it was supposed to rain) and then saaw the sparkling calm water as I dropped down into Pacifica, I could just feel the urge, the pull. I knew I HAD to ride.
Keep in mind, my normal after work ride is about 10-12 miles... I stop and smell the roses a couple of times so it takes me about an hour or more. Monday I did over 11 miles but I came in at around 48 minutes. Even with stopping. I know I'll be seeing more distance there; if I can do more in the same amount of time, then why not? Tuesday and Wednesday, I had intended on just doing 1/2 hour "mini-rides". That I came in last night with 8.5 miles in a little over a 1/2 hour was pretty encouraging. You're right, it's totally easy -almost effortless- to rack up miles on this bike. I was crusing along at 95rpm, doing about 15,16 mph and my HR was sitting at 112bpm. That NEVER happens ('course I was pumping 174 at the top of the hill coming home but that's another story). I'm going to start trying to pace myself uphill at about 75rpm and see if that helps my stamina and duration in the hills. My hill home is 11%, Saturday I'll be climbing an 8% and see how that goes. Coming soon is my 2 mile 6-7% climb out of Dodge. Can't wait.

Now, do I get a B17N for the LeMond? That's the big question