Old 05-04-07, 09:55 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Since this was actually right before you came to the roundabout, I'd say handle the situation like you would if you were in a wide lane that before the intersection narrowed to a lane you couldn't share. Merge into one lane and proceed like you normally would in a car. With a vehicle fast approaching from behind, slow down and get out into the lane behind them.

Just a small nit... saying, "like you normally would riding a motorcycle" might convey proper lane positioning more effectively.

Of course, this is also a good time to emphasize the basics of merging:
  • Always look back over your shoulder by turning your head first (if you don't know how to maintain a straight line while looking back, practice in an empty parking lot by riding along a straight stripe and trying to stay on it while looking back).
  • If it's clear, you can merge.
  • If someone is there, your intent to merge is likely to be conveyed by the look back alone.
  • If they're not yielding, use a standard left arm turn signal.
  • Once they've slowed to let you in, or they pass you and it's clear, you can merge.

Also, once in the circle, if I'm approaching an opening in which I'm not exiting, and there is someone there or approaching, I will often signal left or point ahead to make it clear I'm not exiting there. Similarly, when I am approaching the point at which I'm leaving, I'll merge right a bit and signal right.