View Single Post
Old 05-04-07, 09:27 PM
Collie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great. thankyou, that all makes perfect sense.

I am a programmer by trade and I am planning to tour South Korea and then move on to other Asian countries, so bringing the notebook with me is a must. I plan to tour/work as I go depending on whatever.

I have configured my notebook so that the battery can power the system for anything from 3.5 - 5.5 hours.

I don't need to power the notebook directly, I would just like to charge the battery.

AND FOR ALL THE NAGGING COMMENTS ABOUT WEIGHT/MODERN LIVING/ELECTRONICS ON TOUR/MEANINGLESS CALCULATIONS ETC....
WHEN SOMEONE ASKS A QUESTION ON A FORUM, WOULD IT NOT MAKE SENSE JUST TO EITHER ANSWER THE ACTUAL QUESTION OR IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER THEN JUST SAY NOTHING?!!!

THE WHOLE "LEAVE IT(THE NOTEBOOK) AT HOME" IS NOT EXACTLY A SHOCKINGLY INTELLIGENT/GROUNDBREAKING SUGGESTION LADS!!! I'M SURE ALL 99% OF FOLKS PREPARING FOR A TOUR ASK THEMSELVES MANY TIMES IF THEY REALLY NEED THE VARIOUS ITEMS ON TOUR.

I AM SIMPLY INTERESTED IN THE IDEA OF SOLAR POWER (AMONGST OTHER THINGS) AND IT'S POTENTIAL USE/LIABILITY WHILE ON TOUR.

Again, thank you all for helping me uderstand the solution better

Collie

Originally Posted by cdstg
Hi there is a differance between running the laptop and charging the battery my compaq lasts about 2 to 3 hours per charge

Looking at the battery it is rated at 4400 mAh = 4.4Ah
so that is the total that is can deliver so for 3 hours running that means it takes 4.4/3
which is 1,46 A to run it for an hour

so that would mean if I could charge it at 1 amp it would take 4 .4 hours to charge eg 4 hours 24 minutes
that would assume 100% efficency which is not going to be the case

so its 12volts at 4.4Ah this makes it 52.8Wh eg 12 * 4.4

so now for the solar panel its 15 watts and for 4 hours of sun ( or whatever you daily sun average is ) x 0.85 this is a good derating rule of thumb for a solar panel then your solar panel can deliver 15 X 0.85 X 4 = 56.1

so the good news is that your battery would be charged well at least my one would be so I would so that its worth it but the weight of the laptop and solar charger may not be so a PDA or something like that may be much better