View Single Post
Old 05-05-07, 06:13 AM
cyclistjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
The folks at Strida sent me an email today, linking to the following. Any comments?

http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html

Seems to me that treating 'folding bicycles' as a single category is deceptive; Moulton and Strida are side by side, three stars each, as if they are roughly equivalent. I can't believe there is anyone out there who is seriously debating whether to buy a Strida or a Moulton; they are totally different machines that serve totally different functions. The only thing they share is that they're innovative bicycle designs from England and that they have small wheels. Putting these completely different animals in the same category allows them to give Brompton the highest rating; because, I suppose, it rides better than a Strida, and folds better than a Moulton.

Conspicuous in their absence: Swift, Mobiky, Carryme ....
A star rating doesn't seem very useful when comparing vastly different machines. A buyer may need to consider many aspects of a folder to narrow down the choice. For some people price may be the most critical.

"Which" magazine also uses a star rating, & again it falls down sometimes because their comparisons are just too broad.
I can't help thinking there is quite a similarity between the 2 magazines.

I like the print & photo's quality in A to B, & a couple of articles I've read so far in the selection of back issues I ordered do actually point out things I haven't been made aware of from reading the forums, so it's not totally useless :-).

Someone considering a Strida probably can't afford a Moulton, unless the bike is to be added to an existing collection :-)

There possibly aren't many suppliers in A to B land of Swift, Mobiky, Carryme ....
which may help to explain their absence. I recently looked for a Swift supplier & only found one, but no indication of stock levels.

A decent test evaluation period for the intended rider seems the only way
to be sure it's the "right bike".

For example, a regular forum contributor, Chop!, has several folders, but apparently doesn't ride his high end Brompton much, preferring some of the others. Yet the Brompton is enormously popular (I think there were 3 or 4 on eBay UK in the last few days.)

A to B gave a less than glowing review of a Mezzo, yet a recent post here is very positive, with a friend of the rider's preferring it to his Birdy!

I'll be interested to see matt52's guide.......