View Single Post
Old 05-05-07, 11:59 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I thought the numbness resulted from pressure on the nerve, not blocked blood flow, predominantly.

Going back to the 70s it was not unusual to see Brooks, or similar leather saddles, that were cut out centrally, to accomodate both male and female needs. Not claiming it worked, but that the same range of problems we have today where present before the ergo saddles. I have used a lot of saddles over the years, including modern technical brands, and the Brooks is my favorite. I would buy a B17 from a cheap provider like Nashbar where they occasionally go on sale, and try one out.

I hit the sit-bone areas and it breaks the saddle in for the first ride. One way or another you have to fit the saddle, and it is possible to do it at length or with tools in a short period. same deal with heavy leather boots.

You don't need to use the provided Proofhide to maintain the beneficial character of the saddle. But you should sellect a product that is not designed to saturate, oil, or break in the leather. Oils can reduce the structural lifespan of the leather. The best products are beeswax with no more thinner than is required to render it a shoe polish consistancy. There are leather products, possibly gloves, where as soft and compliant a product as possible is the aim. There are products like older alpine climbing boots, holsters, briddles, saddles, etc... where the structural performance (mostly lack of stretch) is important. These different classes need to be understood. You should not confuse second skin type materials that need to be as soft as possible, with materials that need to maintain maximum stiffness, and mix up their respective care products. In most case you could use stuff like a beeswax shoe polish (beeseal) on any of them). You should not use the oils on saddles.