View Single Post
Old 04-04-04, 04:22 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ngateguy
Standing ypu ground when it comes to your legal right has nothing to do with breaking the law does it? Why,do you whenever I mention my thoughts on law breaking cloud the issue with situation that are either not the norm (faulty lights) or legal (taking your lane for safety issues)?
Around here at least, faulty lights are the norm. In fact, there are several near my place that I know won't work (you tend to figure these things out after dealing with an intersection 1,000+ times). This is not clouding the issue, this is bringing up a very relevant issue to the discussion. As far as the legal actions go, it was in response to a point you continually make:

First off even though it is wrong they do lump us in the same category, so if you think the actions of a few do not affect the whole you do not have a realistic grasp on the situation. Sort of a denial thing.
You seem to think that we should follow the laws of the road to avoid making motorists hate us. I was merely pointing out that many legal actions will have that effect anyway. Basically, there's no point walking on eggshells to try to avoid upsetting motorists -- it simply won't work.

It has to do with accepting responsibility of your ACTIONS. So if you chose to break the law (and faulty equipment is not the issue here) you as an adult accept the consiquences that become of it. Otherwise known as stop your whinning and pay you ticket.
This is, in fact, what I do -- although I've never actually had a ticket to pay. I have to admit I am kind of hoping to get one for speeding on my bike, just so I can frame it and hang it on my wall . However, if you're following the road rules, you should be doing it for the right reasons -- I.e. that you perceive it as the right thing to do. If it's down to an issue of "someone out there won't like me otherwise", you're really no different morally from the people who break the laws all the time.

That is all.