View Single Post
Old 05-07-07, 05:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Gearing Again

Sorry to bring this up again since it has probably been beaten to death in the past, but I couldn't find what I was looking for with a search. I need to get this resolved before our upcoming transamerica trip, so I need to order something right away.

Our two bikes with TruVativ Touro Cold Forged Road 30/42/52T and SRAM 9-speed 11-32T leaves us without a low enough gear and the high gear is higher than probably makes sense. I seem to remember a few posts on this exact setup recently but could not find them.

I would like to keep the cost down and as a result would consider just replacing the 30T chain ring with a 24T or so. I guess it makes more sense to go with something like 48/36/24, but really the 42 works great for 90% all riding until real climbing starts. Is it a really bad idea to just change the small ring? I know it would be a pretty big jump.

Assuming I change all three rings what rings would you buy. I really don't want to break the bank here.

With the prices of chain rings am I better off swapping cranks? I have one Sugino XD600 26,36,46 around that I could use but wonder if the 26 is low enough. I also like the looks of the "Shimano Deore LX FC-M572 Trekking Crankset with Chain Guard" with 48/36/26. Would either of these be suitable?

I am open to other suggestions as well.

FWIW: These are two Windsor Tourists. If the makes you feel compelled to start up the whole Bikes Direct argument, pretend I said Fuji Touring