View Single Post
Old 05-08-07, 11:21 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my area we have all sorts of Shops. A few of them are the cast in concrete Service vs Sales Mind set like you mention. They CAN BE okay because these shops have been in business for a long time and they may have the only source of oddball parts that you can't find anywhere else. While I would not bring any of my bikes there, I do shop them for the bits and pieces I need for some of the old bikes I work on for family and friends. Where else can you find a Maillard derailleur for a 78 Peugeot PX10?

My last shop we worked as a team and tried to do things with as few people as possible. While this gave us good product knowledge on the floor and good experience in the Back Shop, running the shop with as few people as we did caused problems with making the repairs happen and many times things fell through the cracks. We were able to keep up with it for a few years before the whole thing imploded.

My current shop (as of 2 weeks ago!) we try and get everyone involved in all aspects of the business. Shoot, last Saturday morning I was sweeping the driveways and the sidewalks! Beautiful day to do it too! The dynamics of any shop are interesting and this one is no different. The thing I like is that we have one main Shop area downstairs with two stands for adjustments and quick fixes on the main floor. There have been many a time where we have offered up a cup of Coffee to a customer and let them finish it off while watching us fix their bike. A few sets of Park Tools Stools up at the Bar overlooking the Stand is a great idea.

I am not saying that this new Shop is the be all end all, but they are filling a space in the market and the Customers are responding to it. What is surprising is that it is in the inner part of the City and not in the best neighborhood, but people still come there. As an Employee, I could not be happier. I am so impressed with everyone that works there and how they all get along together. It's a very eclectic group. I wondered how I would fit in as the oldest person in the shop, and I have been the one that needed to make the adjustments. Dang...I wish I could do this full-time!

Chris