View Single Post
Old 04-05-04, 09:37 PM
ShadowRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "first" chopper

I got an OLD and I mean like 50 year old bike from some nice guy on my friend's paper route. I'm 6 foot tall and it was a 20 inch bike, a tad too small. the bike had sat in his garage for 20 years. So I ride it "as is" for a day then look at my pile of wrecked bikes. Frames, forks, etc. I had a great idea. The handlebars of the bike were already how I wanted them. (Monkey bar style... ) all I would have to do is change the front fork so that I could put a 26inch tire on the front and keep the 20 inch tire on the back. I finished, the bearings are out of the fork, and the handlebars are crooked, but the bike runs and EVERYONE wants to buy it. (This is a chopper community, what can I say!) So, the bike is still a pain to drive. Lean back too far and the bike tries to flip over. And there are other imperfections. It's a one speed so it doesn't accelerate too fast, nor does it go very fast at all. I bought a $30 mountain bike from my friend today and I broke it down into individual parts and am currently in the process of cleaning it all up. (It was all greasy and muddy) Once I have lubed it all, and adjusted all the parts I'm going to put the 20 inch tire from my current chopper on this long stretched out frame on the back of this one and then keep the 26 inch tire on the front. (So it has the same lift in a sense, but since the frame is bigger it will have even more lift.) Then I'm going to put the handlebars on, etc. This bike isn't even a year old (the frame and some of the parts..) so the paint is relatively good and shiny.

Here's the exact frame, but this is a different brand. The frame I have is a Mongoose DXR.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...&xsell=1647016

Questions? Comments? I'll try and get a picture of it someday..

I call this project: The Mongoose DXR Chopper