Old 05-09-07, 09:59 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jignall
This is a seasoned group of touring cyclists and I'm basically just concerned this is my first tour and given all the variables, if it's wise to add another variable and try it with a folding bike (i.e. Bike Friday NWT).
It's really not a big variable. The biggest single difference is that the smaller wheels will make the ride a little rougher.

I need to buy a new bike either way (I only have a road bike right now), so again, I'd love to kill two birds with one stone (touring AND folding bike for when I travel). So basically the decision is whether to buy a dedicated touring bike (which I'd basically only use for touring) or the NWT (which I can use for touring, casual around town stuff and general travel purposes).
You can actually use a touring bike as a general purpose or recreational bike. The big plus of the folding bike is, uh, that it folds.

By the way, if the lead time on a BF is too long, you should consider getting a stock Xootr Swift. I would then do the following:

- lower the gearing, first with an 11-32 cassette (11-34 needs a chain tensioner, and therefore sucks). If that isn't low enough, swap out the front 52T, maybe to a 49 or lower.
- add bar-ends and/or ergonomic grips.
- consider swapping out the tires, maybe to Schwalbe Marathon Racers?
- consider using front racks, since that may handle better than putting everything on the rear.

I do think the NWT will have better geometry for touring, but the Swift costs less ($700ish), is solid as a rock, can certainly maintain those speeds and will still be good for general purpose use when not on tour.