Old 05-09-07, 06:32 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
On MTB's- Although LX is not bad- There is plenty of scope to Custom your Groupset.

I would recommend XT .....................
I don't have the road experience of many of you guys. And I'm no great mechanic. So the Dura-Ace or Ultegra may be better than my knowledge of the mountain groups.

I was 21 and a college graduate before I knew you could buy a car that worked. I was amazed that you could just turn the key and mash the gas and drive off the lot. I thought you had a put a transmission or a rear end in'em before it worked.

However, I have recently upgraded two bikes, a 7 speed 90's model cro-moly MTB to 9 speed LX, and an 05 8 speed Deore grouppo flat bar road bike to 9 speed XT.

I was amazed that both the LX or XT will change gears up or down with hardly a sound and barely a click......one minute you're pedaling to beat h**l and the next minute you're lined out.

The old 80/20 rule works for most things when considering cost versus efficiency. So XTR and DuraAce may be a little better, the top of the line, the best, but the best bang for the buck is probably 105/Ultegra, or LX/XT.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 05-09-07 at 08:20 PM.